Saturday, August 21, 2010

Here Goes Nothing

Our family lives in what I like to call "a big little town." Our town boasts a population of about 65,000 and is far behind the rest of the country in everything. We are just now getting 3G from AT&T.

There are only a handful of places to purchase organic foods - and none of them have a very big selection. Kroger is one of the few places that have a section dedicated to organic and natural foods that's big enough to maneuver a cart with an almost 3 year old and a 6 month old. So I loaded up the hooligans and off we went.

Now, I would love to be able to just go and buy everything all over again, but that's not practical at all. I have a kitchen full of junk that needs to be eaten first. I did really want to prove to my husband that eating organic foods doesn't mean he's going to have to compromise taste.

I ended up buying the ingredients for spaghetti. I bought organic noodles, sauce and grass fed beef. I immediately saw the price difference, but have decided that I would rather pay a little more and know exactly what I'm feeding myself and my family than pay less and have no idea what we're actually eating. I've eaten many organic foods in the past and they just taste better than nonorganic foods. A small amount of organic is much more satisfying than nonorganic.
We ate the spaghetti, and while I can't speak for my husband, I left the dinner table very satisfied. Grayson ate 2 plates full and Jack had his usual dinner of green beans.

I feel accomplished for having prepared a full organic meal. Except for our beverages, which is a battle I'm not sure I want to fight right now....

So far so good.

We'll see how the rest of this goes....

Stay tuned.

No comments: