Monday, October 11, 2010

The fat lady is singing

I think I can safely say that this experimental lifestyle change is officially on hiatus. And in all honesty here are the 2 reasons why:

1.) Money - Yes, I know, I know. I should be happy and willing to sacrifice things that make me happy so my family can eat healthier, less processed foods. But, let's face it. I'm selfish. I don't want to. I like being able to have manicured hands and eyebrows that are distinctly separated. These are things that I do for me. And I feel like I need that. I feel like I deserve that. It's what I do for myself. It makes me feel good. That's worth something, right? Does that make me a terrible mother? Truth be told, even if I did give up these things, we still wouldn't be able to afford to eat all organic foods. It is ridiculous how much more you have to spend to eat healthy. No wonder America is so fat. People are watching their money - and not their calories. Why pay $15 for one pound of organic free-range chicken when you can buy three times that in regular ol' chicken breast? It doesn't make any sense at all.

2.) The limited availability of organic foods here in Western KY. As I have stated in a previous post, there is one supermarket around that has a decent selection of organic foods. It is 20 minutes away from me and does not carry any of the other things I need when I shop for our household. My time away from home (and not working) without our two children is very very limited. I have to utilize what little time I get wisely. I do not have time to drive out of my way to this supermarket and then go somewhere else to buy everything else I need. I simply do not have the time to do this. And forget doing this with the two kiddos. Yes, it can be done. But it's not pretty at the end of the day. We do not have a Whole Foods or a butcher shop that sells organic meat. We do have local farms that sell beef by the whole or half cow - and we don't have a deep freezer to accommodate that much meat.

So, here we are. Stuck.

Ideally, yes, I want my family to eat what's best for them. At the same time, I don't want to have to choose food over something Grayson really wants to do because of monetary issues. I grew up on processed foods. I ate that $.79 box of macaroni and "cheese." I drank Kool-Aid loaded with sugar. I ate the "chicken" nuggets from McDonald's. I turned out (somewhat) normal. I think the most important thing here is that we are now reading labels. I am more aware of what I'm actually buying and feeding my family. I'm trying to lead them to make healthy choices of what they are eating. I am not naive enough to think that if I deprive my toddler of Cheetos that he will say "No" when someone else offers it to him. But, that same toddler loves fruits and vegetables. A few Cheetos with their neon orange cheese dust residue is not detrimental to the well-being and health of my kids.

We'll never be THAT family - the ones that are constantly turning down offers for backyard bbqs and that never go out to eat because we can't eat anything on the menu. It just doesn't gel with us.

We tried. It didn't work.
But we tried.

With that, I thank you for following me on our short-lived quest in going organic. I have decided to keep the blog, though, as a more candid look into our lives. An "R" version of our "G" family blog - if you will. The name will be changed, the content will change, the appearance will change, but it's still us.

Stick around. It won't be boring.


No comments: