Tuesday, October 26, 2010

She's crafty..oh oh..she's crafty

I'm not a crafty person. At all. I would like to be, but I'm just not. I'm creative and have lots of ideas, but I just don't know how to implement any of them. That, and I'm terribly impatient. I thank my dad's side of the family for that gene.
I told you that, to tell you this: Saturday, the salon where I get my hair-did was holding a fundraiser. They had food, and door prizes and vendors.  There was a vendor there that made little homemade t-shirts that she sold on her Etsy page.  They were super adorable - and the price tag reflected it at $18 a pop for a appliqu├ęd t-shirt! No way. I could totally do this myself. (It is important to note that these words almost always precede an event so horrific that could most accurately be described as infernal regions on earth.)
After being antsy all weekend (none of the craft stores were open on Sunday) I got the afternoon off on Monday and trotted down to Hancock's. What an overwhelming place that is.  Good grief.  I went in "looking for something cute" - which in that place was about as vague as it gets.
I spent a decent amount of time going up and down the massive aisles with my little cart, looking at all the different fabric and generating new creations in my head. That would be cute on an apron. Oh, wait. I can't sew. 
To make a stupidly long story short, I found some remnant fabric and bought some plain t-shirts.
This is what I made:

For Grayson:

For Jackson:

Here's Jack modeling his new one-of-a-kind designer-chic onesie (and showing off those two new chompers)



I have to admit, I was throughly impressed with this project. It was perfect for me - no equipment to buy, and I can be as creative as I want to be with it.  I'm going to do Grayson a birthday t-shirt, and of course, I already have ideas for Christmas stuff dancing around in this brain of mine.

I'd love the practice, so if there's anything you want me to try, let me know!

2 comments:

Mrs. Snugglebunny said...

good job stacey!

Lauren said...

Good job girlie! I've recently been getting in touch with my creative side as well. This summer I made all kinds of homemade salsa and more recently made a cute pillowcase dress for my niece and painted some t's for my other niece.

Good luck and have fun with it!