Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Little Help From My Friends

I attempt to construct a menu of dinners for my family each week.  Attempt is the operative word here.  I like to try new things or throw in something different to the rotation, but lately, I've just been too busy to sit down and look through cookbooks or magazines for  meal-time inspiration.

So, I thought I'd just ask my Dear Readers to share recipes of dinners that you routinely serve for your family.

I'm lucky, my kids aren't too picky. Grayson loves broccoli and Jack is a little garbage disposal. That kid'll eat anything you put in front of him.

So, spill it! I need help!

2 comments:

merda taurorum animas conturbit said...

I've got one !!!

I'm a recent convert to those plastic bags that you can put in the oven. They aren't actually plastic, but they look like them, expect they don't melt. Although the first time using one I gazed suspiciously inside the oven the whole time, still rather unconvinced that such magic was possible.

Anyway. Get one such bag. Take appropriate number of chicken drumsticks (or other bits of chicken) for the size of the bag, throw in spices or dried herbs, or wet herbs, or garlic + lemon, whatever you fancy.

Shake.

Tie bag as per instructions. Peirce as per instructions if remember.

Put in oven proof dish.

Cook at about 180 degrees C (gas) (for about 45 minutes.)

Have a rest reading blogs\forums

Nuke potatoes in jackets in microwave.

Put various veggies from freezer on hob.

Have another rest.

Swear when peeling hot cooked potatoes post nuking. Mash halfheartedly with a bit of milk and butter.

Burn self on steam from veggies when draining.

Get chicken out of oven, tussle with bag, tip into dish.

Serve.

Watch family marvel at poultry miraculously NOT suffering from perennial problem of being

a) a bit burnt

b) rather dry

c) tasting of nothing

I serve that once a week now, I hate cooking but it makes me feel all virtuous even though it is less effort than pasta.

I do cheat sometimes (well, often) and buy the one with the bag and the spices already done for you, but I don't know if they sell it outside of Italy. It's by Buitoni
https://www.buitoni.it/Prodotti/ProdottiLista.aspx?id=651

Christopher said...

How about...
Campbell's Chunky Vegetable Beef soup.

Directions:
Go to pantry and pull out can.
Open can.
Follow heating directions on can.
Throw can away.
Eat hot soup with more crackers than needed.

Success!