Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sunday Funday? More like Sunday Shouldda-Just-Stayed-In-Bed Day

I spilled coffee on my laptop on Sunday. I had it in a travel mug WITH A LID, and I still managed to spill it on the keyboard. I am talented like that.  It wasn't much, and I got it all up and thought all was well. And then they keyboard quit working. I backed everything up on my external hard drive, powered it down and hoped it would work when I got home.
I put the kids in the bathtub and got ready to do some errands. (Chris was at work all day.) I got myself ready, and then got the boys dressed. While I was helping Grayson with his pants, Jack ran into the bathroom and climbed back in the bathtub - which still had water in it from their bath because it takes forever to drain. New jeans, new shirt, new diaper - all soaked. 
Change Jack. Again.
I get everybody changed and loaded up and drive the 30 minutes to Sam's. We get in without having to show my membership card and we proceed do some shopping. Get to the check-out and pull out my wallet to get my membership card. It's not there. It's in another wallet. GRR. They will not issue me a temporary card because apparently my membership had expired. I did not relish the idea of standing in line for 45 minutes with 2 kids to get a new card and then go back and stand in line at the check-out. Leave emptyhanded.
Grayson announces he's hungry, so I opt for Sonic where I don't have to wrestle two toddlers and a tray full of food and drinks. I figured we'd sit there and eat and then go on to Wal-Mart. Get to Sonic, order and then Grayson announces he has to pee. Sonic has no public restroom. Great. Get our food and leave. Eat burger with one hand and steer car with the other. Grayson says "I reeeallly gotta pee, Mom. Just pull over." Pull into closest parking lot, which is PetSmart. Take the boys to the bathroom. Spend the next 30 minutes looking at fish, birds, gerbils, cats, and the like.
Leave PetSmart and decide to go in KMart since it's been forever. KMart was completely uneventful. (The way I like it.) Leave KMart headed to Wal-Mart for a few groceries. 
Arrive at Wal-Mart at 4:30 CST. On Sunday. Superbowl Sunday. (I had forgotten about the game.) Fight my way through the crowd with the boys - who behaved as excellent as I have ever seen them. No crying, no fits, they were both just really good.  After getting everything, I remember that I need some Febreeze Noticeable refills. (The kind that plugs into the wall and is in a glass container) Put a 2 pack in the cart and head to the checkout. Jack picks up the package and starts chewing on it. I tell him "No, that's dirty" to which he replies by throwing it in the floor. I pick it up and throw it back in the cart. About halfway down the aisle, I notice a pungent smell. Look down and realize the air freshener has busted and is now leaking smelly oil all over EVERYTHING in my cart. Apples, oranges, canned drinks, chips, cereal - AND the oil is now causing all the paint on all the packages to come off. So, my cart is a big stinky streaky painted mess. I get the check out line and wait as the couple in front of me divides their cart into 5 separate transactions. Finally get to the belt, and start putting oily, stinky, dirty stuff on the belt. The cashier then starts full on wheezing - saying in between puffs on his inhaler, that he has asthma. He calls for help - which takes no less than 5 minutes to arrive - all the while I'm standing there holding up the line. I can just see the smell of the Febreeze wafting off me, the boys, and my cart. Finally get someone to check us out, pay and leave as fast as I can. Drive home with the front windows down and the heat cranked up. The boys thought this was hilarious and squealed in delight the entire way home. Get home, get the car unloaded and start putting the stinky oily groceries away - opening boxes and throwing away any packages that I can that have been saturated. Realize my apples and oranges are COVERED and proceed to soak them in the sink with dawn and water. Wash apples and oranges with a scrub brush. Finally get everything cleaned up as best as I can and realize I'm missing a bag. In my haste to get the heck outta Wal-Mart, I left it there. Call the store to see if it got turned it. It' hasn't, but the girl tells me to come back sometime, bring my receipt and they'll get me what I'm missing.
Cook dinner using the can of manwich because it was one of the cans with the most oil on it and I didn't want it to sit in my cabinet stinking up everything else.
Eat.
Check laptop. Still kaput. Call Uncle Boo Tech Support (aka my brother-in-law) who tells me to bring it over. Take laptop to him and he takes everything apart, cleaning what we can with alcohol. Put keyboard back in. No change. BIL tells me to soak keyboard in distilled water, and dry it out for several days. If that doesn't work, buy a new keyboard (which thankfully, only run about $15)
I'm not sure I've ever been so excited for Monday.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I remember oftentimes driving with the windows down and the heat blasting... we were so cool!

Hope your keyboard works, and sorry about your crappy day. :/

Stacey said...

The keyboard did not work. Lucky for me, Uncle Boo Tech Support (aka Matthew) has a laptop that is very similar to mine with the exact keyboard I use. He never uses his laptop, so he gave me his keyboard to use and I ordered him a new one. :) Thank goodness for family!